Encountering Caverns in France: TBM Tunneling in Karst Conditions
France’s recently completed Galerie des Janots featured some unexpected challenges: Karst cavities large and small were found throughout the bore as well as two large, uncharted caverns. During excavation with a Main Beam TBM, crews encountered an 8,000 cubic meter cavern studded with stalagmites and a 4,500 cubic meter cavity directly below the bore path. How did the crew overcome the conditions and continue past the voids?
- Unprecedented Diameter Change: The Mill Creek Tunnel
- Mine Development Machine: Successful Rectangular Rock Bore in Fresnillo, Mexico
- Encountering Caverns in France: TBM Tunneling in Karst Conditions
- 48 Fault Zones and 26 Bar Pressure: Boring Turkey's Gerede Water Transmission Tunnel
- High-Speed Tunneling in the Himalayas: Over 1,200 Meters a Month at Bheri Babai