Carving a Path Through Extreme Conditions: An Integrated Ground Investigation System Optimized For Turkey’s Difficult Geology
Turkey’s geologic framework, seated on an active tectonic belt, is made up of older rocks mixed with younger igneous rock. More than 80% of the country’s surface is rough and mountainous, and the ground conditions can be highly variable and unpredictable. Today’s adaptable TBMs are capable of tackling these tough conditions using cutting-edge technology coupled with modern ground investigation methods.
This presentation will explore several recent and ongoing projects in the tunneling industry that highlight the latest in TBM technology for difficult ground excavation. Whether smart features include a Measurement While Drilling (MWD) system, cutterhead inspection cameras, or sensors to monitor converging ground, today’s TBMs equip contractors with knowledge. Specialized sealing systems can arm contractors with methods to successfully and safely treat water head pressure up to 30 bar.
- Unprecedented In-Tunnel Diameter Conversion of the Largest Hard Rock TBM in the U.S.
- Hard Rock Tunnel Boring at the Jefferson Barracks Tunnel
- The Next Generation of Mixed Ground Tunnel Boring Machines
- Rock Tunnels at High Water Pressure: Non-Continuous Pressurized TBMs vs. Slurry
- Hybrid TBM Excavation in Challenging Mixed Ground Conditions at the Mumbai Metro