Design and Implementation of a Large-Diameter, Dual-Mode “Crossover” TBM for the Akron Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel
The Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel (OCIT) Project involves construction of a conveyance and storage tunnel system to control combined sewer overflows for several regulators in the downtown Akron area. A Robbins dual mode type “Crossover” (XRE) Rock/ EPB TBM, Ø9.26m bore in diameter, will be used to excavate the tunnel and install the precast segmental lining.
The XRE TBM will feature characteristics of both Single Shield Hard Rock machines and EPBs for efficient excavation in mixed soils with rock, such as a flexible cutterhead design for proficient boring in both rock and soil conditions, adjustable main drive speed with an over-speed mode for operation in hard rock, and special screw conveyor wear protection measures. This paper describes these design features, their manufacturing process, and implementation in the field.
- Record-Setting Large Diameter Mixed Ground Tunneling in Turkey: The Eşme-Salihli Railway Tunnel
- Lessons Learned During Excavation of the Incredibly Challenging Yin Han Ji Wei Water Diversion Tunnel
- Record-Setting Tunnel Boring Below Lake Ontario at the Ashbridges Bay Outfall Tunnel
- Enhanced Probe Drilling & Pre-Grouting on Hard Rock TBMs
- A Clean Solution for Renewable Energy: Small Diameter Hydro Tunnels